Feb 17, 2014

Working on a book: Postgal

I always wanted to start a personal long term project and actually finish it. Of course I worked on long term projects for school but never for myself. So I decided to write, illustrate, and self publish my own book. Even though I wouldn't consider myself a great writer I wanted to try anyway. I mean it is a personal project, it shouldn't matter. But I do want to give it my all and not cut any corners with this project. My goal is to have the book printed and bound by June, or at least be done with the whole book by June. If the book is done I could print and bind it anytime.

 The story will be called postgal and it's basically about a girl delivering a package in a busy city. It all started with the image to the left. I always liked postal stuff so I did a collage depicting a delivery girl looking at a map. After looking at the finished illustration I begin to make up a story for the girl and it eventually turned into postgal. Right now I have some of the character designs done and I've typed out 50% of the story. Typing out the beginning and end was easy but filling in the middle is more challenging. But I figured out how to fill up the middle it's just a matter of actually typing everything out and making sure it flows the way I want it to. 

I've been reading children's books and short stories for reference. I was hoping they would make me a better writer lol. But I guess I'll get better the more I write. I want to visit the closest library and check out some more book and study them too. It's been so long since I've been to an actual library and I'm actually looking forward to it.


I made a sketchbook specifically for postal sketches. I'll be posted progress pictures once I start the actual illustrating process. I made a schedule for the book and I'm suppose to have the whole manuscript typed by March. I'm glad I'm about half done with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment