Jun 11, 2013

Busy fun weekend

Over this past weekend I had a few adventures and it was really fun. I'm glad I have a friend that can get me out of the house and take me on adventures. We went to Ice-Atlanta, Oakland Cemetery, and Atlanta Zine Fest.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ice-Atlanta
Ice-Atlanta (Ice meaning Indie Craft Experience) was nice. It was more crafty than I thought. I mean I know "craft" is in the name but I had no idea how it would actually be. I'm still debating if I want to be a vendor there for the fall. I think if I share a table I would be ok. I've been thinking of things I could sell. So far I only have my tarot cards and postcard sets in mind. Hope I can think of more.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Oakland Cemetery
After Ice-Atlanta we drove pass the Oakland Cemetery and I was amazed at all the statues and obelisks I saw and asked my friend if we could stop by and walk around. I'm so glad I did. I saw amazing sculpture and mausoleums. But it's actually a pretty historical place. Let me share some pictures with you.
I believe this was in the Jewish section of the cemetery. Me and my friend wondered if there's special architecture or symbolism for gravestones/markers because we saw a lot of different symbols. It was very nice and interesting.
I saw some sculptures but a lot of them had their heads knocked off. We didn't know if it was because of a tornado that went through the area in 2008 or someone going around knocking them off. But this one was still in tact. It's probably more recent. Even though the cemetery was founded in the 1800s people are still being buried there.
This was one of the sculptures that lost its head. It still looked good though. It just looks really nice and I just wonder how much things like this cost.

I think this was one of the most ridiculously awesome mausoleums I saw in the cemetery. It's like a mini church. I wanted to cry. You can't see it here, but if you got to see it in person you can look through the front doors and see the stained glass windows in the back of the mausoleum. This mausoleum had stained glass windows!!! I was definitely amazed. 

Here's a side view of the mausoleum. I really want to know how much something like this costed. Like it's a mini church! But it was nice seeing something like this. There were other mausoleums there also. Some looked like Greek temples. But this one was my favorite.
Here's another sculpture. I think this one is also more recent since it looked really good and unharmed by the elements. Wish I could have gotten closer. I didn't want to step on people's graves. I'm always afraid I'll step on someone's grave. Some cemeteries don't have defined paths are aren't well taken care of and I have to watch where I step and I apologize under my breath just in case I happen to be stepping on someone's grave.
This sculpture was very striking because the figure didn't have a face. Like it looked intentional. Me and my friend wondered why the artists or the person who commissioned it wanted it to be like that.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Atlanta Zine Fest
Our last adventure was to the Atlanta Zine Fest. This day was the first time I took marta. We got on the trains and I loved it. They were super fast!
The event was in this old building. Well this was taken from upstairs. I thought it was cool although I was very itchy the whole time. It was also very humid which made me even more uncomfortable.
A zine I got for free! It's a zine by Knife!! or Atomic Heat Ray. He did a demo and talk on stickers. I didn't know there were people out there trading stickers. I thought it was cool and I would love to make some stickers to send him.
This was a sticker we got at the end of the demo/talk. I don't really like to stick stickers on things because I hate when they peel up and get dust and dirt on the sticky side and it just looks gross. I could keep a sticker book I guess. But I don't know. I would like to be a vendor here but transportation would be a pain.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

But my weekend was great and full of adventure. I'm so glad I got to go to all those places. I think it provided me with some good material to blog about. And now that I have a smart phone with a good camera it will be easier to take pictures now! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment